I presented the Simple Summer outfit last night, since I couldn't wait! I'm not a very patient person...
I promised details on both parts of the outfit that I made - today I'm showing you the tunic! Hang in there, pants people. Tomorrow is another day.
So without further delay, I present the:
Simple Summer Tunic
I made a I created the Simple Summer Tunic using fabric I purchased last fall from Ikea, in the children's section. I didn't know what I wanted to do with it then, but with spring in full swing here, and summer coming, this fabric practically jumped off the shelves when I was planning.
I used the Easy Linen Shirt pattern from Sewing for Boys, but altered it in a few places. I shortened the sleeves a couple of inches in length for a cooler shirt and a different look. I also cut the front slit a couple of inches deeper, to keep it cool, but also to allow for quick removal of the tunic. It has big plans to be a beach cover up this summer.
I used the original Nehru collar in the pattern, which gives it the slightly exotic flare.
I added some extra topstitching on the central front seam and used a double seam on the sleeves and bottom hem.
Tomorrow I'll show you the coordinating pants I made for it! Here's a hint: